Andy Ruiz Jr. makes his return to the ring against Damian Knyba on Friday, September 4, at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey(TNT/DAZN), Matchroom Boxing announced Tuesday.
Former unified Heavyweight ruler Ruiz (35-2-1, 22 KOs). who signed a promotional deal with Matchroom Boxing last week, is back in action after a two-year absence from the ring.
The 36-year-old stunned the sporting world in June 2019 when he dethroned Anthony Joshua on a historic night in New York, and last tasted action in August 2024 in a majority draw with Jarrell Miller in Los Angeles, the third bout in a row in his home city following wins over Chris Arreola and Luis Ortiz.
Standing in the way of Ruiz’s plans to get back to the summit of the Heavyweight division is Knyba (17-1, 11 KOs), with the Polish giant looking to end ‘The Destroyer’s’ grand plans at the first hurdle. The 6-7 Knyba is looking to bounce back to winning ways at the first attempt after taking on newly anointed WBC champion Agit Kabayel for the interim title in Germany in January. Knyba fights at the Prudential Center for the fourth time in his career, and the 30-year-old can move into line for a World title crack with victory.
“I’m going to be fighting in Newark, New Jersey, on September 4, baby,” said Ruiz. “After we get this victory, I would love to fight all the guys that have the belts the Oleksandr Usyk vacated, and we’re going to become a two-time champion next year, let’s get it.”
Ruiz’s clash with Knyba leads a card in New Jersey, with the co-feature bout pitting another new Matchroom signing, Vito Mielnicki Jr., against World Middleweight title challenger Austin ‘Ammo’ Williams.
Mielnicki Jr. (23-1, 13 KOs) penned a deal with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom and Boxlab Promotions recently, and immediately steps into the biggest fight of his career to date on home turf. The 24-year-old made his pro debut at the Prudential Center in June 2019 when he was still in High School, and the Roseland, NJ native is looking to make strides in the 160lbs division by claiming a big win in his Matchroom bow.
For Williams (20-2, 12 KOs), this must-win bout behind enemy lines represents a massive chance to get right back into the World title mix following a spirited performance in his first World title battle in Orlando in March, taking WBC champion Carlos Adames the distance.
“Every fight is another chapter in my story, and on September 4, I’m ready to write my biggest one yet,” said Mielnicki Jr. “I respect Ammo Williams because he has proven himself against top competition, but this is my time. I’ve dedicated my life to becoming a World champion, and every sacrifice I’ve made has prepared me for moments like this.
“When that bell rings, fans are going to see a fighter who is hungry, confident, and ready to prove he belongs among the elite. I’m coming to make a statement and take another step towards a World title.”
Williams is now training with Derrick James, and according to him, he’s focused and ready to go.
“The hardest thing for me to do was separate from my family for the first time, all for the sake of seclusion and total focus,” Williams said. “I have taken my talents to Dallas, TX, to train with Derrick James, a current undisputed World Champion creator, and every day I get to soak in new knowledge from a completely different perspective. This is the move and sacrifice that will unlock my superstardom and propel me to the level of undisputed World Champion.”
Further early undercard announcements for the card see another hometown talent will look to shine in their backyard as Newark’s Zaquin Moses fights for the eighth time in the paid ranks. Moses (7-0, 3 KOs) has already recorded a pair of six-round wins in 2026, and the 21-year-old’s first fight at home will also be his first eight-rounder.
“We ina bityyyyyy!” said Moses. “Make sure y’all come support watch me beat on someone NEWARK! We outside! #homecoming.”