Andrade: ‘I’ve been training to be destructive’

Demetrius Andrade has vowed to destroy Jason Quigley and make a big statement as he makes the fifth defense of his WBO World Middleweight title on Friday night (November 19) at the SNHU Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire, live worldwide on DAZN.

Andrade (30-0 18 KOs) has been circling his fellow champions at 160lbs on the hunt for unification battles that have yet to surface, but continues to remain active and fighting hungry challengers like Quigley (19-1 14 KOs), with the 30 year old aiming to become the fourth Middleweight world ruler from Ireland.

‘Boo Boo’ meets his fifth European opponent for his crown and the two-weight World king is determined to send him back empty handed like he’s done to all-comers so far – and deliver a performance that will have fans and pundits clamoring for him to land the big fight he craves.

“I’ve been training to be destructive,” said Andrade. “Someone is going to stop this fight. Put your house on it.

“I look to give everybody a beating in a sense, to outclass them. Going in and knocking people out is cool but I also like to get rounds in and show my skill level. We just saw Canelo and Caleb Plant, it took him 11 rounds to end the fight but I’m not Caleb Plant. There’s a whole lot more in me than what Caleb showed. That’s the type of fight that I would like to get in and do though, to show my skills, my heart, my conditioning, what I am made out of.

“Anyone can get caught with a lucky punch or caught cold and fight’s over. I know KOs sell and that’s cool, but the wealthiest athlete in the sport was Floyd and he didn’t knock anyone out for a long time at the end. So, it’s funny how KO’s sell, but when I get KOs I don’t get the fights; I think that they would rather fight me thinking that I don’t have power rather than having power. At the end of the day, do they want to get in the ring with me? Jason Quigley said yes.

“I have a good contract, I am making good money and at the end of the day, I can’t get frustrated and be emotionally driven as it’s out of my control, I am just focusing on me and right now that’s Jason Quigley on November 19 and I am happy for that as it’s one step closer to show people how much longer are they going to keep avoiding me, but I don’t get paid if I don’t fight so it’s not about them, it’s about me, what am I doing? How do I keep showing people that yes, Demetrius should be fighting them, and we want to see it?

“I’m excited, boxing is back in full force, the fans are back in the arena, and we’re near my hometown and we’re going to bring championship boxing to a state that’s never had it before, that’s a real honor and I am ready to get back in there and show people what I am about.

“My fight in Providence was amazing and I would love to fight there again but New Hampshire is next door so that’s cool too, it’s just a little drive for me so that’s good too!

“Jason was an Olympian, he’s 19-1 and his name was in the mix to fight Canelo at one point, so for me to step in the ring with someone they have to be good and for Canelo to consider fighting someone he must be pretty good – we’re going to do what we are going to do and that’s make quick work out of Quigley.”

Andrade’s clash with Quigley tops a quadruple header of World title action, with Murodjon Akhmadaliev (9-0 7 KOs) defending his WBA and IBF World Super-Bantamweight titles against José Velásquez (26-9-2 19 KOs).

It’s Mexico vs. Puerto Rico in the long-awaited showdown between WBC World Flyweight champion Julio Cesar Martinez (18-1 14 KOs) and McWilliams Arroyo (21-4 16 KOs) and the fourth World title bout on the bill is the second step on the path to crowning an undisputed women’s champion at 140 pounds as Kali Reis (18-7-1 5 KOs) takes on Jessica Camara (8-2) for the WBA, IBO and vacant WBO straps.

Photo: Matchroom Boxing

Micky Ward: ‘I’ve known Boo Boo(Demetrius Andrade) for years, he’s the real deal’

Micky Ward believes Demetrius Andrade will retain his WBO World Middleweight title when he defends against Irishman Jason Quigley at the SNHU Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire on Friday November 19, live worldwide on DAZN.

Ward is no stranger to big New Hampshire bouts, winning two fights in the state in 1999 that set the benchmark for his Ring Magazine Fight of the Year with Emanuel Augustus in 2001 in Hampton Beach.

The Massachusetts legend with Irish roots could be forgiven for having split loyalties when he takes his seat next Friday night as Andrade and Quigley close a monster show with four World titles on the card, but the man that played a starring role in three epic battles with Arturo Gatti will be backing the Rhode Island man to retain his title and hunt down the unification battles he craves.

“I’ve known Boo Boo for years, he’s the real deal, he always comes to win, he’s a born winner,” said Ward. “I was telling him that this is the only time I am going to go against an Irishman as Boo Boo is my guy! He’s an elite fighter but he’s also a great kid. I wish Jason all the luck in the world in the fight, he’s a great fighter too but Demetrius is my man.

“I’ll be on Boo Boo’s side but I’m Irish and if it was any but Demetrius fighting, I’d be rooting for Jason but Boo Boo is like family to me, so I have to back him. Demetrius can really fight. He can switch, he’s got power, speed, he brings everything and he’s tough with a good chin, he’s the full package, an all-round great fighter that can adapt to any style.

“I know that the Irish fans are going to come out and they are crazy in the best way. If they are out in force it’s going to be loud, they are great fans and they get behind their guy.

“It’s great to have massive fights in New Hampshire. I fought here a few times and it’s great to see such a massive card coming to Manchester. I had the fight of the year here in 2001 with Emmanuel. It was a great fight, crazy fight and New Hampshire is close to me right up the street from Massachusetts, so it brings back great memories and I’m looking forward to next Friday.”

Andrade’s clash with Quigley is part of a massive quadruple header of World title action, with Murodjon Akhmadaliev (9-0 7 KOs) defending his WBA and IBF World Super-Bantamweight titles against José Velásquez (26-9-2 19 KOs).

It’s Mexico vs. Puerto Rico in the long-awaited showdown between WBC World Flyweight champion Julio Cesar Martinez (18-1 14 KOs) and McWilliams Arroyo (21-4 16 KOs) and the fourth World title bout on the bill is the second step on the path to crowning an undisputed women’s champion at 140lbs as Kali Reis (18-7-1 5 KOs) takes on Jessica Camara (8-2) for the WBA, IBO and vacant WBO straps.

Photo: Matchroom Boxing

Andrade: ‘Canelo you going to run up to 175?’

Demetrius Andrade will top a World title quadruple-header as he defends his WBO World Middleweight against Jason Quigley at the SNHU Arena in Manchester, New Hampshire on Friday November 19, live worldwide on DAZN.

Andrade (30-0 18 KOs) puts his crown on the line for the fifth time and the Rhode Island star will be looking for a statement win as he hunts the unification blockbusters with his fellow belt holders at 160 pounds. The 33 year old, who picked up the vacant strap in his first fight with Eddie Hearn in Boston in October 2018, will make it five straight fights with European challengers when he steps through the ropes against Quigley.

Quigley (19-1 14 KOs) moved into prime position to land a World title shot in May by beating Golden Boy stablemate Shane Mosley Jr by majority decision in a thriller in Las Vegas, and the former amateur star becomes the second Irishman to challenge ‘Boo Boo’ after Luke Keeler took on the WBO ruler in Miami in January 2020.

“November 19, it’s me again,” said Andrade. “Jason Quigley, world rated, good amateur pedigree, decent skills, comes to fight, and hats off to him, he’s actually willing to step in the ring with me, which you can’t say for any of these other so-called top guys. On November 19though I show him that there are levels to this game.

“Just keep winning, that’s all I can do. Go in there, handle my business, do my job, look sensational, come out healthy and then it’s onto the next. If you have a belt at 160 or 168 lbs, let’s go. Put the politics aside, have your people call Eddie. Let’s get down to business. Charlo, stop running your mouth, making up excuse after excuse. You’re a fighter, let’s fight bro. GGG, where you at? Unify against Murata and then let’s put the three belts on the line next year.

“Canelo you going to run up to 175? Cool, I can meet you there, no problem. First things first though, I need to go out on November 19, defend my championship belt, and put on a spectacular performance, and that’s exactly what I plan on doing.”

“I’ve worked my whole career to get into this position of becoming world champion,” said Quigley. “Demetrius is a great champion but now it’s my time and that World title is coming back to Ireland.”

Three more World title fights in support of Andrade’s clash with Quigley are led by Murodjon Akhmadaliev defending his IBF and WBA World Super Bantamweight titles against Ronny Rios.

Akhmadaliev (9-0 7 KOs) was at his spiteful best last time out, putting the challenge of Ryosuke Iwasa to bed in the fifth round of his first professional outing in his homeland of Uzbekistan. ‘MJ’, who became unified champion in just his eighth fight in the paid ranks by ripping the belts from Daniel Roman, puts the belts on the line for the second time in New Hampshire and does so against his WBA mandatory challenger and #1 in the rankings.

Rios (33-3 16 KOs) is in great form heading into his second World title challenge, heading to the east coast on the back of four wins, the latest being the only one to go the distance in February in Indio, California with a wide points win over Oscar Negrete.

“I would like to thank my promoters Eddie Hearn and Andrei Ryabinsky for the opportunity to defend my titles in New Hampshire,” said Akhmadaliev. “I’m living and training in Indio, so I know how people love and appreciate boxing here.

“It will be my second mandatory challenger in a row, he’s a good fighter and I expect it to be a great fight for everybody to enjoy! As always, I’m working hard with my coaches Antonio and Joel Diaz, and we’ll be prepared to defend what belongs to us!”

“Who is the best to beat at my weight class? It’s MJ so I am here to challenge myself with this task and I’m confident in my ability and my team to come out victorious,” said Rios. “On November 19th you will see a new world champion added to the Golden Boy stable”

The third world title fight is pits Mexico vs. Puerto Rico and it’s the long-awaited showdown between Julio Cesar Martinez and McWilliams Arroyo.

Mexican Martinez (18-1 14 KOs) returned to action in typically entertaining fashion in June, stopping Joel Cordova in Guadalajara to successfully defend his WBC World Flyweight title for the third time. It will be third time lucky for the Arroyo clash, with Covid squashing the first attempt to pit them together in Tulsa in May 2020 and then a hand injury to Martinez ruled him out in fight week when they were due to clash on the undercard of Canelo Alvarez’s clash with Avni Yildirim in Miami in February.

Puerto Rican Arroyo (21-4 16 KOs) was able to taste action that night and picked up the Interim title at the home of the Miami Dolphins with a fifth round win over Abraham Rodriguez, and will be desperate to upgrade and rip the full title from Martinez as they finally get to tangle.

“It is great that we are finally able to get this fight,” said Martinez. “We have tried twice to do it but that’s all in the past and now we’re going to go to war on October 16.

“McWilliams is a strong challenger for the belt but I feel fantastic and I am ready to prove that I am the man to beat at Flyweight.”

“This fight has been asked for and the fans will finally get a great battle on November 19,” said Arroyo. “I hope he will come prepared because I am going to be 100 per cent ready and confident that I will be victorious.”

The fourth World title bout on the bill is the second step on the path to crowing an undisputed women’s champion at 140lbs as Kali Reis takes on Jessica Camara for the WBA, IBO and vacant WBO straps.

Two-weight champion Reis (18-7-1 5 KOs) added the IBO title to her WBA crown last time out with a majority decision win over Australian Diana Prazak, and the Rhode Island champion and former WBC Middleweight ruler will be looking to add another title through victory over Camara (8-2), the Canadian that bounced back from defeat to Melissa St Vil with a confidence boosting win over Heather Hardy in May – and the stakes couldn’t be higher with the winner set to face the victor of the with October 30 clash between WBC champion Chantelle Cameron and IBF champion Mary McGee at The O2 in London, England.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quigley-Johnson set for July 18

Undefeated Irish contender Jason Quigley (16-0, 12 KOs) will return to the ring to defend his NABF Middleweight Title against battle-tested Tureano Johnson (20-2-1, 14 KOs) in the 10-round main event of the July 18 edition of the Golden Boy DAZN Thursday Night Fights at Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, Calif. The fights will be streamed live on RingTV.com and on Facebook Watch via the Golden Boy Fight Night Page beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT. The series will also be available on regional sports networks around the nation.

Quigley is a 28-year-old contender who has an unblemished record after turning professional in 2014. The native of Donegal, Ireland has defeated the likes of James “The King” De La Rosa, Glen “Jersey Boy” Tapia, and Freddy “El Riel” Hernandez. In his last fight, Quigley fought for the first time in the U.K. since moving to the United States to start his professional career. In that fight, Quigley defeated Mathias Eklund via second-round technical knockout. After a year-long setback due to an injury suffered in his right hand against Tapia, Quigley has been making a comeback and is eager for a world title shot.

“I’m excited because getting in the ring with these good fighters is going to make me perform even better,” said Jason Quigley. “This is going to be a massive year for me so I’m looking to putting on a great performance. We are focused on climbing the middleweight ladder, and we’re on the road now to world titles. That makes me excited. Tureano Johnson is a great fighter. He’s a tall fighter, and he’s got the repertoire and the armory. I’m expecting a tough fight, and I hope he comes 110% prepared because I’m going to be 110% prepared.”

Johnson is a 35-year-old contender who hopes to fight for a world title despite some setbacks in his career. Johnson’s only losses were against Curtis “The Cerebral Assassin” Stevens and Sergiy “The Technician” Derevyanchenko. After a very tough battle against Fernando “El Huracan” Castaneda in February, the native of Nassau, Bahamas is eager to make his case for a world title opportunity by handing Quigley his first loss.

“I am very excited to have the opportunity to fight Jason Quigley for the NABF Middleweight Championship on July 18 in Indio, California,” said Tureano Johnson.”Quigley is an excellent boxer with an excellent record, but I will come to the fight prepared to give and to take. I will give him his first loss and take his NABF Championship.”

In the co-main event, Alberto “Impacto” Melian (5-0, 3 KOs) of Buenos Aires, Argentina will defend his NABA Super Bantamweight Title in a 10-round fight against Leonardo Baez (14-2, 8 KOs) of Mexicali, Mexico.

Marlen Esparza (6-0, 1 KO) of Houston, Texas will fight in an eight-round flyweight fight.

Ricardo Sandoval (14-1, 9 KOs) of Rialto, Calif. will participate in a 10-round flyweight battle against Marco Sustaita (12-1-1, 10 KOs) of Oceanside, Calif.

Carlos “The Solution” Morales (18-4-3, 7 KOs) of Los Angeles will return in a 10-round lightweight fight.

Charles Huerta (20-6, 12 KOs) of Paramount, Calif. will fight in an eight-round super featherweight clash.