Alexander: ‘Roy(Jones) has accomplished everything in this sport, and he’s teaching me to have fun again’

Former two-division world champion Devon Alexander “The Great” will face exciting welterweight Ivan “El Terrible” Redkach in the 10-round main event of Premier Boxing Champions on FS1 and FOX Deportes Saturday, June 1 from Soboba Casino Resort in San Jacinto, California.

The telecast begins at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and will also feature a 10-round clash of middleweight contenders as Hugo “The Boss” Centeno Jr. faces Willie “El Mongoose” Monroe Jr. in the co-main event. The action begins with unbeaten heavyweight Onoriode Ehwarieme in a 10-round clash against Rodney Hernandez.

Alexander (27-5-1, 14 KOs) returned to the spotlight in February 2018, after a period of inactivity in which he sought treatment for an addiction to painkillers, and delivered in two exciting contests on FOX. After fighting to an action-packed draw against Victor Ortiz, he dropped Andre Berto in their August matchup before losing a narrow split-decision. Originally from St. Louis, Missouri, Alexander will train with the legendary Roy Jones Jr. in Pensacola, Florida for the first time for this fight. He has defeated the likes of Marcos Maidana, Lucas Matthysse and Jesus Soto Karass throughout an accomplished career where he won titles at 140 and 147-pounds.

“I’m excited to get back in the ring on June 1 on FS1 and FOX Deportes and bring a great fight to the fans at Soboba Casino Resort,” said Alexander. “As most people know, I’ve switched trainers to Roy Jones. Jr. Roy has accomplished everything in this sport and he’s teaching me to have fun again. He’s also helping me balance both my physical and mental game. I’m just excited to enter the ring with him in my corner and to fight my way back into world title contention.”

Originally from Ukraine, but now training in Los Angeles, Redkach (22-4-1, 17 KOs) has won back-to-back fights heading into June 1, defeating Brian Jones last June and Tyrone Harris in February. The 33-year-old is a training camp teammate of featherweight champion Leo Santa Cruz and put together those recent victories after losing contests to John Molina Jr. and Argenis Mendez on FS1. The December 2017 battle against Molina saw both men hit the canvas in a firefight that garnered Fight of the Year recognition.

Photo: Devon Alexander twitter account

Devon Alexander returns 5/25; Roy Jones Jr. will be his new trainer

According to a press release from Devon Alexander’s management team, the three-time world champion is expected to return to the ring on May 25 against an opponent to be determined.

For this upcoming fight, Alexander(27-5-1, 14 KOs) will have a new trainer. The 32-year-old Alexander has hired the great Roy Jones Jr., who will take over for Kevin Cunningham. Alexander had been with Cunningham since the start of his career, but now, he feels it’s time for a change.

“I made the change because I just felt like it was time for me to try something different, and when I talked to Roy Jones Jr., a future Hall of Famer and living legend, he said he can help me with my comeback,” Alexander said. “I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to see what we can do together.

“After speaking to him(Jones Jr.), I really felt like it was a perfect match. He truly understands what it’s like for a fighter, like myself, who is making a comeback at this stage of his career.”

Alexander will train in Pensacola, Fl and Big Bear, CA for his fight on May 25.

The St. Louis native is coming off a close decision loss to Andre Berto last August in New York.

Photo: Douglas Defelice/Premier Boxing Champions

 

Alexander: ‘I thought I edged it out’

LONG ISLAND, NY (August 4, 2018) – Former world champion Andre Berto (32-5, 24 KOs) won a back-and-forth fight by split decision Saturday night against fellow former champion Devon Alexander (27-4-1, 14 KOs) in the main event of Premier Boxing Champions on FOX & FOX Deportes from NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

“I knew he was going to be quick and I knew he’d come to fight,” said Berto. “I had to get adjusted to his speed a little bit and then I started pressing him. I felt like I was in better shape and quicker to the target than he was.”

Alexander struck first as his southpaw stance appeared to give Berto trouble early. Alexander connected with a series of powerful right hooks in round two before following up in round three with a straight right that landed on Berto and allowed Alexander to score a knockdown with follow-up hooks.

“We knew that we had enough power to hurt him and I felt like I was doing that early in the fight,” said Alexander. “I slowed down in the middle of the fight, but there’s no excuses. We both came to fight.”

The back-and-forth fight concluded with both fighters slugging it out until the final bell and appearing to have worn each other down from the 12-round bout. The scores reflected the close nature of the bout as once judge scored it 114-113 for Alexander, but was overruled by two judges scoring the bout 115-112 for Berto.

“I thought I edged it out, but it was a close fight,” said Alexander. “We’re climbing back still. This happens. I’m going to talk to my team and see what the best move is going forward.”

For Alexander, this is the second straight fight he had to deal with a questionable decision. In his last time out against Victor Ortiz, Alexander had to settle for a questionable draw.  Berto moves on, but who knows how much he has left.

 

Photo: PBC

Berto to Alexander: ‘We’re going to see if he’s back’

For Andre Berto and Devon Alexander, Saturday is a massive day for both of their careers.

The last time we saw Berto(31-5, 24 KOs), he was stopped by Shawn Porter back in 2017, while Alexander(27-4-1, 14 KOs) is coming off a controversial draw against Victor Ortiz back in February. A fight many believe he won.

The two will square off on Saturday night at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in the main event of Premier Boxing Champions on FOX & FOX Deportes

At this point in both their careers, it’s win or go home. A loss for both fighters could mean the end.

‘Both of us need this win badly though, and I’m sure neither of us will look to take a step back on our way to a victory,” Alexander said on Thursday.

Berto, 34, believes this will be Alexander’s toughest fight since his return. This will be the third fight for the 31-year- old Alexander since making his return to the sport after sitting out two years with an opioid addiction.

“I’m going to push Devon. I don’t think he’s fought any that brings what I do since he came back from his layoff,” Berto said on Thursday. “We’re going to see if he’s back. If he’s not ready, then I’m going to make it a long night for him.

“It’s all business on Saturday night. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s going to be dynamite. It’s going to be a good time.”

This does have the makings of a fun fight. Berto makes exciting fights, and Alexander is looking to show the world that he is indeed back. Because it’s win or go home, expect a big effort out of both fighters on Saturday night..

Photos from Ed Diller/TGB Promotions

Berto-Alexander, Quillin-Love set for August 4 in Long Island

 LONG ISLAND, NY (July 5, 2018) – Former 147-pound world champions Andre Berto(31-5, 24 KOs)and Devon Alexander (27-4-1, 14 KOs)will battle in a 12-round showdown that headlines a stacked night of Premier Boxing Champions on FOX andFOX Deportes live in prime time on Saturday, August 4 from NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The telecast begins at 7:30 p.m. ET/4:30 p.m. PT with former world champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (33-1-1, 23 KOs)facing 168-pound contender J’Leon Love (24-1-1, 13 KOs) in a 10-round bout. Also in action will be former amateur standout and fast-rising unbeaten prospect Joey Spencer (3-0, 3 KOs) in a super welterweight match.

The exciting night of fights begins with a special edition of PBC on FS2 & FOX Deportes at 5:30 p.m. ET/2:30 p.m. PT with unbeaten light heavyweight contenderMarcus Browne (21-0, 16 KOs) taking on once-beaten Lenin Castillo (18-1-1, 13 KOs) in a 10-round match. The FS2 & FOX Deportes telecast will begin with a welterweight showdown between former world champion Luis Collazo (37-7, 20 KOs) against Bryant Perrella (15-1, 13 KOs).

Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by TGB Promotions and DiBella Entertainment, go on sale Friday, July 6 at 10 a.m. Tickets can be purchased online by visiting www.ticketmaster.comwww.nycblive.com, or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Tickets are also available at the Ticketmaster Box Office at NYCB LIVE beginning Saturday, July 7 at noon. Group discounts are available by calling 516-231-4848.

“I’m happy to bring another action-packed event back to NYCB Live on Long Island,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “Headlining the FOX and FOX Deportes telecast, former world champions Andre Berto and Devon Alexander meet in a high-stakes crossroads battle with the winner emerging one step closer to another shot at the welterweight crown. Former middleweight champion Peter Quillin continues his comeback facing the talented J’Leon Love and Staten Island’s unbeaten light heavyweight contender Marcus Browne also appears on the card. Long Island boxing fans will want to arrive early for a tremendous undercard, with local talent as well.”

An exciting and accomplished fighter from Florida, Berto returns to the ring after dropping a contest last April to Shawn Porter. Berto represented Haiti in the 2004 Olympics and picked up his biggest recent triumph on FOX in April 2016 as Berto scored a fourth-round knockout of former champion Victor Ortiz in their high-octane rematch.

Berto previously challenged retired legend Floyd Mayweather in September 2015 and has engaged in numerous Fight of the Year-worthy bouts, including a 2012 war with Robert Guerrero and his first fight with Ortiz. He has twice held a welterweight title, first the WBC belt, which he successfully defended five times between 2008 and 2011, plus the IBF crown he picked up in 2011 with a victory over Jan Zaveck.

A Brooklyn-resident who has made the borough home for his whole career, Quillin returned to the ring last September when he defeated Dashon Johnson by unanimous decision. The former middleweight champion made three title defenses after winning his title from Hassan N’Dam in Brooklyn and his only loss came at the hands of former champion Daniel Jacobs.

The 30-year-old Love enters this fight unbeaten in his last seven contests after most recently defeating Jaime Barboza in May. The Michigan-native who now trains and lives in Las Vegas had previously defeated a slew of contenders and will look to move closer to a world title shot with a victory over Quillin on August 4.

Browne has put together three-straight impressive knockout victories to continue his rapid rise up the highly competitive 175-pound division. The 27-year-old southpaw has sandwiched knockouts of Thomas Williams, Jr. last February and Francy Ntetu this January around a second-round destruction of then unbeaten Seanie Monaghan in the inaugural boxing event at Nassau Coliseum on a FOX primetime telecast last July. The 2012 U.S. Olympian will look to put himself in position for a world title fight with a convincing win on August 4.

The 29-year-old Castillo fights out of his native Dominican Republic and enters this bout with three straight victories by stoppage. Castillo’s recent wins followed his first professional loss, a majority decision defeat to unbeaten Joseph Williams last February. Castillo has fought professionally since 2010 and was unbeaten in his first 12 fights. The only other blemish on his pro resume was a majority draw in Brooklyn against then unbeaten Travis Peterkin in 2015.

Collazo is a former world champion hailing from Brooklyn who has fought top welterweights from Berto and Shane Mosley to Keith Thurman and Ricky Hatton. His most recent fight saw him score a sensational knockout victory over Sammy Vasquez in February 2017. He returns to the ring after recovering from injuries sustained during training and will face Perrella of Fort Myers, FL. The 29-year-old defeated Alex Martin in his home state in December via a unanimous decision in his last outing.

Devon Alexander: ‘I don’t think nobody ducking (Errol)Spence’

IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr.(23-0, 20 KOs) has proven that he one of the best at 147. Last spring, he went to England and stopped Kell Brook to win his first title. Then, Spence defended his belt at Barclays Center against Lamont Peterson in January, and he dominated and stopped Peterson in 8.

At this point, it seems many of the top fighters at 147 don’t want to fight the 28-year-old Spence. Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia are calling out WBC/WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman, but not Spence.

While many believe Spence is being avoided by some of the top guys at 147, welterweight contender Devon Alexander does not think that’s the case:

“I don’t think nobody avoiding Spence,” Alexander recently told the Go4it podcast. “I just think at the time people are not available. At the end of the day, it has to be right for all parties, and I think at this time nobody is available that he wants. I don’t think nobody ducking Spence or whatever. I understand he wants Thurman, this and that. You want it to be right too. At the right time, you don’t want to rush it. I understand that, but me, I don’t care.”

Alexander is willing to fight any and everybody, including Spence:

“I’ll fight anybody; that’s just my mentality; that’s been my mentality,” Alexander said. “He’s a man, I’m a man. At the end of the day, I can punch. He can be knocked out; I can be hit, or whatever. But this is the sport we’re in, so there’s no need to be afraid fight to anybody. I’ll fight anybody. If Errol Spence want it, then we’ll get it on too. Because I see some flaws in him, too, so let’s make it happen.”

Alexander looked very good in his last two fights after two years out of the ring. The 31-year-old Alexander is very motivated to do big things at 147.

As for Spence, he is expected to return against Carlos Ocampo on June 16. This is a fight Spence should win. So, maybe after Ocampo, Spence could get it on with Alexander or any other fighter is willing to step in the ring with “The Truth.”

Devon Alexander to Thurman: ‘If you say you the best, what you need a tune-up for?'(AUDIO)

WBC/WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman has been on the shelf since last March when he beat Danny Garcia to capture the WBC welterweight title.

After the fight with Garcia, Thurman had surgery on his right elbow. Thurman is scheduled to return on May 19 at Barclays Center to an opponent to be named.

Former welterweight champion Devon Alexander, who had a controversial majority draw against Victor Ortiz in February, does not understand why Thurman needs a tune-up:

“What does tune-up mean? If you’re an elite fighter, If you say you’re one of the best fighters out there, then nobody can beat you on your best day,” Alexander told the Go4it podcast hosted by Paul Gant. “If you feel like you’re one of the top welterweights out there, nobody should be able to beat you at your worst day. I just don’t understand that. Tune-ups or “give-me.” If you say you the best, what you need a tune-up for? I just don’t understand. These people are playing. They say they’re the best, but they want a lot of money for the least opponent. The least threat. That’s what these guys are doing now of days. I don’t understand it. It doesn’t make sense.

“I understand injuries happen, but if you’re strong enough to have a fight, that means you’re strong enough to get in there with somebody. Those are all excuses to me. Like I said, I understand injuries. People get injuries; I been injured, but if you say you the best, fight the best. Continue to fight the best. I mean I just don’t understand.”

At this point, there is no word on who Thurman will fight next. However, based on what Thurman has been saying, the opponent is not going to be anybody that can really test him.

I understand both point of views, but Thurman has to do what he feels is best for his career. Let’s hope the fight after his tuneup will be against a credible opponent.

Listen to what Alexander had to say below:

 
Photo: Amanda Westcott/SHOWTIME

Listen to Go4it! Guests: Boxer Devon Alexander & Actor Brett Davis(HAHN)

We will be talking sports and having fun doing it! We will be joined by boxer Devon Alexander, who will discuss his controversial draw against Victor Ortiz, and what’s next for him. Also, actor Brett Davis will join us to discuss “The Haves and Have Nots”  and more!

Show starts @ 7pmest!

00:30 Devon Alexander interview

22:48: Brett Davis interview

Photo: Juan Yepez/Premier Boxing Champions

Ortiz: ‘I thought the decision was a little off and I thought I did enough to win'(Photos)

Former world champions Victor Ortiz (32-6-3, 25 KOs) and Devon Alexander (27-4-1, 14 KOs) fought to a majority draw in the exciting main event of Premier Boxing Champions on FOX and FOX Deportes Saturday night from Don Haskins Center on the UTEP campus in El Paso, Texas.

“I thought the decision was a little off and I thought I did enough to win,” said Ortiz. “The first few rounds were a little complicated. He’s a great boxer, and he was timing me just right. I wasn’t leaving the line of fire.”

Alexander frequently caught Ortiz charging in with right hands and combinations. The attacks opened up swelling in Victor’s left eye beginning in round three.

“The eye was tough to overcome,” said Ortiz. “I can’t really see out of it. I really had to listen to my corner. I tried to stay composed as I could, but he’s a really good fighter.”

Alexander won five of the first six rounds on two judges’ scorecards and all six on the other’s. Ortiz did fight better in the second half of the fight. The judges liked Ortiz’s efforts, which allowed him to win five of the final six rounds on two judges’ cards and all six of the final frames on the third judge’s card.

One scorecard was 115-113 for Ortiz, and the two other scorecards had it all even at 114-114

“A rematch would be awesome,” said Ortiz. “If both teams agree and the fans want it, let’s make it happen.”

A rematch is not necessary here. We know who won the fight.

Photos from Juan Yepez/Premier Boxing Champions

Photos from Saturday night:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Alexander: ‘I gave him three rounds’

Devon Alexander did everything he wanted on Saturday night but win.

Alexander and Victor Ortiz fought to a controversial majority draw in the main on Saturday night Don Haskins Center on the UTEP campus in El Paso, Texas.

After 12 rounds, the judges scored the bout 115-113 for Ortiz and 114-114 twice, resulting in the majority draw.

However, Alexander(27-4-1, 14 KOs) thought he did enough to get the nod:

“I absolutely thought I won the fight,” said Alexander. “The last few rounds I probably gave him, but I thought I out landed him in the 12th. I thought I did enough to win. I gave him three rounds.

“My game plan was to be smart,” Alexander said. “Victor always has problems with people that are faster and have more ring IQ. I wanted to put him in the state of mind that he can’t win.”

Alexander won this fight! Now, he can possibly move on to some of the top welterweights in the division. While Ortiz, gets another opportunity to fight on.

I guess both guys did win on Saturday night.

Photos from Juan Yepez/Premier Boxing Champion