Charles Conwell wants Danny Garcia

Charles Conwell would jump at the chance to fight Danny Garcia if it opened the door for a world title shot in 2023.

‘Bad News’ faces the experienced Juan Carlos Abreu in California on Saturday night, in a semi-final eliminator for the WBC world super welterweight title.

The unbeaten Conwell, who is ranked No5 by the sanctioning body, knows he could be just two wins away from landing a shot at the belt, which is currently held by Jermell Charlo.

Sitting above the American in the ratings are fighters including Sebastien Fundora, Liam Smith and former two-weight world champion Garcia.

And 2016 Olympian Conwell says he would be happy to face any of those names in a final eliminator – especially Garcia – to keep him on track for ‘superstardom’.

“Those are the types of fights I want,” Conwell told Probellum.com.

“I want those ex-world champions, people with experience who have been there before, who’ve done it. And I know Danny Garcia’s a great champion, he’s done his thing at two different weight classes, at 140 and 147 and now he’s bringing his skills up to 154.

“But I feel like it’s a new time and a new era. A lot of young fighters out there are starting to pop out, around my age group. It’s the right time for me to be the next superstar of the super welterweight division and if Danny Garcia is the name I need on my record, then I’ll go there and take that.”

But 25-year-old Conwell(17-0, 13 KOs) insists his focus is on Abreu, whom he meets at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson this weekend, on the undercard of the Jose Zepeda vs Regis Prograis world title clash.

“Saturday night, I’m going to leave the ring with a new record of 18-0 with 14 knockouts,” Conwell declared.

“Just know that I’m going to bring the action. I’m looking to finish this fight in style. No boxing, no dancing around, I’m looking to go out there and dominate every round. For however long it lasts.

“I possess the speed, the skill, the power, the slickness and everything else that I need to win and get the knockout. It’s just a matter of when.

“I’m looking to put on the best performance of my career so far and really going out there and making a statement. I can’t allow this to be fight close; I must dominate every round and make sure that when people talk about the super welterweight division that my name is brought up and brought up as one of the best too.”

Conwell on Charlo-Castano II: ‘I think Charlo will win, but I would not be surprised if Castano does it’

‘Bad News’ Charles Conwell is picking Jermell Charlo to emerge as the undisputed super welterweight champion after his rematch with Brian Castano.

Conwell, one of the most talented contenders in the 154lbs division, believes Charlo will have too much variety for Argentina’s Castano in Carson on Saturday night.

The fight – which sees the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts on the line – is a rematch of their clash from July which ended in a split draw.

Photo: Stephanie Trapp/SHOWTIME

Former US Olympian Conwell, who returns to the ring on June 2, says as soon as the final bell sounded, he predicted the judges would be unable to reach a unanimous verdict.

But the unbeaten 24-year-old expects Charlo to be victorious this time, saying: “After the first fight, is it so difficult to choose a side but I feel like Charlo is more athletic, more able to come with a different style whereas Castano, I feel, has one style for size and his height.

“So, I feel like Charlo can be more unpredictable than Castano who is more predictable. You know how he’s coming out to fight.”

Conwell fights in Montreal next month against Abraham Juarez Ramirez on a co-promotion event between Probellum and GYM.

The American wants to use the fight as a springboard for an active second half of the year, which will end with him knocking on the door of a world title, potentially, with the winner of Saturday’s undisputed clash.

“The first fight was a really good fight and I thought it could have gone either way, either to Castano or Charlo, and so at the end of the 12 rounds I felt like it was going to be a draw.

“For the rematch, I want to say, Charlo. I’ve been going with Charlo, this whole time and I think Charlo will win, but I would not be surprised if Castano does it, given how close it was last time.”

 

Conwell: ‘I’ll be breathing down the neck of Jermell Charlo by the end of the year’

Unbeaten American Charles Conwell has signed a co-promotional agreement with Probellum. 

The 24-year-old former Olympian is one of the fastest rising stars in the 154lbs division and aims to be in a position to secure a world title shot by the end of the year.

Conwell (16-0, 12KO) will be promoted by Probellum and DiBella Entertainment, who earlier this month signed a co-promotional deal, and Conwell is the partnership’s first major signing.

With their backing and expertise, the Detroit-born stylist is looking to build on his lofty rankings with many of the world’s governing bodies.

Fellow American Jermell Charlo holds three of the recognized world titles, and Conwell has the WBC, WBA, and IBF champion in his sights.

“With Probellum in my corner, I know that I’ll be breathing down the neck of Jermell Charlo by the end of the year,” Conwell said. “I’m confident I’ll be in a mandatory challenger position where he has no choice but to fight me,” 

“And as my nickname suggests, I am Bad News for the 154lbs division because I’m coming for those titles, and I will get them – mark my words!

“I’m 16-0 already and ready to step up and become world champion, which is something I am destined to do.”

Triller announces additional fights for Lopez-Kambosos Jr. undercard

Triller Fight Club has announced undercard for Lopez-Kambosos Jr. set for Saturday, June 19 at Miami’s loanDepot Park, home of the Miami Marlins.

FITE will broadcast globally the undercard free-of-charge starting at 3:30pm ET with the Pay-Per-View starting at 9:00 p.m. ET.

The event is headlined by the first defense from Brooklyn, New York’s ‘The Takeover’ Teofimo Lopez, (16-0, 12 KOs), of his Undisputed Lightweight World Titles (WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF, RING) against Mandatory Challenger, ‘Ferocious’ George Kambosos Jr., (19-0, 10 KOs), of Sydney, Australia scheduled for 12-rounds.

Headlining the undercard, 2016 U.S. Olympian, Charles ‘Bad News’ Conwell, (14-0, 11 KOs), of Cleveland, OH seeks to continue his march up the world rankings against his toughest test as a pro against Mark ‘The Bazooka’ DeLuca, (27-2, 15 KOs), of Whitman, MA. The ten-round junior middleweight clash is contested for the USBA and WBC Continental Americas Title. The 23-year-old Conwell, one of the boxing’s top prospects, has stopped his last two opponents inside the distance, Wendy Toussaint and Madiyar Ashkeyev, both of whom were previously undefeated. The battle-tested southpaw DeLuca returns to action following a first-round knockout of Michi Munoz on February 6, 2021.

In the middleweight division two-time world title challenger, Willie ‘El Mongoose’ Monroe Jr., (24-3, 6 KOs), of Rochester, NY clashes with Juan ‘La Amenaza’ De Angel, (22-13-1, 20 KOs), of Barranquilla, Colombia over ten-rounds. Currently riding a three-bout winning streak, Monroe Jr. makes his long-awaited return from a ten-round decision victory over Hugo Centeno Jr. on June 1, 2019. De Angel challenges Monroe Jr. following hard fought loss to undefeated prospect Isaiah Steen on November 6, 2020.

In a battle of giant heavyweights, world ranked Zhilel ‘Bang Bang’ Zhang, (21-0-1, 17 KOs), of Zhouhou, China battles upset minded veteran Daniel ‘The Mountain’ Martz, (20-9-1, 17 KOs), of Clarksburg, WV in a scheduled ten rounder. The 6’6” southpaw Zhang returns to the ring following a hard-fought majority draw with Jerry Forrest on February 27, 2021 in Miami, FL. Standing 6’7”, Martz looks to stay in the win column following a first-round knockout of Michael Marrone on October 17, 2020.

Heralded 19-year-old junior welterweight prospect Aaron ‘The Alien King’ Aponte, (3-0, 1 KOs), will face fellow undefeated prospect Gerardo Contreras Gonzalez, (2-0, 1 KO), of San Diego, CA in a four-round bout. The former amateur standout, standing 6’1”, Aponte has quickly impressed boxing fans in South Florida fighting in front of his wealth of supporters from Hialeah Gardens, FL. Prior to turning professional Aponte compiled an amateur record of 98-18. Fighting on April 17, 2021, Aponte won a four-round unanimous decision over Javier Martinez in Hollywood, FL. In his last start, the 25-year-old Gonzalez won a four-round unanimous decision over Jesus Sotomea on November 14, 2020.

Fighting in the junior middleweight division in battle of southpaws over eight rounds, ‘The New Ray’ Robinson, (24-3-2, 12 KOs), of Philadelphia, PA faces Ramal Amanov, (16-3, 5 KOs), of Ganja, Azerbaijan. Facing two undefeated, world ranked contenders in back-to-back fights, Robinson will look to break his two-bout streak of majority draws against Josh Kelly and Egidijus Kavaliauskas while Amanov seeks his first win of 2021.

Top featherweight prospect Haven Brady Jr., (2-0, 2 KOs), of Albany, GA battles Manuel ‘Gansito’ Lara, (2-6), of Ciudad Victoria, Mexico in a scheduled four rounder. A 2019 Junior National Olympic Gold Medalist, the 19-year-old Brady has stopped his first two opponents, most recently knocking out Michael Land on December 12, 2020 in Las Vegas, NV.

Undefeated junior middleweight Nikoloz Sekhniashvili, (7-0, 5 KOs), of Gori, Georgia (country), will see action in a scheduled six rounder against an opponent to be announced. The 27-year-old Sekhniashvili hits the ring following a four-round knockout of Alexis Gaytan on September 4, 2020.

In the welterweight division, New York City’s Arnold Gonzalez, (6-0, 2 KOs), battles Gabriel Gutierrez, (7-9, 5 KOs), of El Paso, TX in a scheduled four-rounder. The 26-year-old Gonzalez heads back to action off a second-round knockout of Jeffrey Quintero on January 30, 2021. The upset-minded Gutierrez has stopped his last two opponents, the latest knockout against Jesus Aceves-Lopez in the fourth round on February 20, 2021

Previously announced on the main card and co-featured, competing for the Women’s Super-Middleweight Undisputed World Title, Franchon ‘The Heavy Hitting Diva’ Crews-Dezurn, (7-1, 2 KOs), holder of the WBO/WBC belts challenges WBA/IBF title holder Erin Cederroos, (8-0, 4 KO), over ten rounds. The victor will also receive the RING Magazine belt.

In a heavyweight clash, Las Vegas, NV resident Michael ‘The Bounty’ Hunter II, (19-1-1, 3 KOs), will battle Michael ‘White Delight’ Wilson, (21-1, 10 KOs), of Medford, OR in a ten-round WBA Heavyweight World Title Eliminator. Hunter is currently ranked #7 by Ring Magazine and #10 by ESPN.

Competing for the WBC International Super Featherweight Silver Championship, Andy ‘El Tiburon’ Vences, (23-2-1, 12 KOs) of San Jose, CA meets Jono ‘King Kong’ Carroll, (19-2-1, 5 KOs), of Dublin, Ireland in a scheduled 10-rounder.