Kaepernick to the Ravens?

According to reports, Ravens QB Joe Flacco could possibly miss 3-6 weeks with a back injury. With Flacco out, the Ravens need a quarterback. That QB could be free agent Colin Kaepernick.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh is interested in Kaepernick. According to the Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec, Harbaugh has spoken to Kaepernick throughout the summer, and the team will explore signing the 29-year-old QB. Currently, Ryan Mallett is Flacco’s backup.

Obviously, Harbaugh’s brother Jim knows Kaepernick very well. Kaepernick had his most success with Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco. Therefore, Jim would know what Kaepernick can and cannot do on the football field.

This seems like the perfect fit. We’ll see if it happens!

Advertisements

An amazing Inside-the-park grand slam(watch)

Last night, Philadelphia Phillies minor league prospect SS J.P. Crawford did something very amazing!  Crawford pulled off an Inside-the-park grand slam.  

Crawford, who plays for the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, the Phillies triple-A team, did something very special at the end.

Take a look:

Cavs GM Koby Altman on LeBron: ‘It means a lot for him to be here and compete for championships’

The Cleveland Cavaliers officially introduced their new GM Koby Altman on Wednesday. Altman, who replaced former GM David Griffin, will take over a franchise that’s in a very interesting place.

Cleveland’s second best player Kyrie Irving reportedly wants to be traded, and their best player LeBron James can opt out of his contract next summer, and reportedly could go elsewhere. 

Sitting next to owner Dan Gilbert, Altman did not deny that Irving asked for a trade. He called the situation with Irving “fluid.”

In terms of James, Altman said he was committed to winning championships in Cleveland.

Take a listen to what Altman said about LeBron:

Does this mean LeBron will stay in Cleveland for years to come? I don’t think anybody can say that definitively. 

We’ll truly know what LeBron will do sometime next summer!

 

 

Freddie Roach details Miguel Cotto’s preparation for Kamegai fight

World renowned trainer Freddie Roach shared important details regarding the training camp of Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs), the only Puerto Rican boxer to ever win world titles in four divisions, as he prepares to go to war for the vacant WBO Junior Middleweight title against the Japanese slugger Yoshihiro “El Maestrito” Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs). Cotto will attempt to obtain a sixth world title in four divisions and will appear on HBO for an astounding 23rd time. The event takes placeSaturday, August 26 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California and will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing® beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
Roach, a Hall of Fame trainer who was supervising a recent sparring session at the Wild Card Boxing Club, shared Cotto’s training camp routine, which consists of:
  • Strength and conditioning at 5:00 am with Gavin McMillan (exercises are done either at the gym, pool, nearby hills or at the track).
  • Breakfast at around 8:30 am. (Cotto likes to cook all his meals himself; his diet is normal, avoiding fried food).
  • Light snack at around 11:15 am.
  • Sparring three days a week at 1:00 pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
  • Boxing routine on at 1:00 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
  • Dinner at around 5:30 pm.
Roach also provided additional training camp details, including the strategy for taking advantage of the exciting and crowd-pleasing style of Kamegai.
“Kamegai [Yoshihiro] is very aggressive and I like that. I think it should make for a great fight because he’s coming forward all the time and always looking for a knockout. Guys who look for knockouts, get knocked out. So, we’re working on countering his attack, and it’s going really well so far,” Roach concluded.
“I feel great, everything is working perfectly in camp together with Freddie and Gavin on every workout session. Freddie has a great game plan and I just follow him and do my best every day at gym. We look forward to have a big win” Miguel Cotto said.
“For more than 16 years, Miguel Cotto has represented Puerto Rico. He has given fans incredible fights at a number of weight classes, and has won world titles in an astounding four divisions,” said Oscar De La Hoya. “Now, after nearly two years out of the ring, as he attempts to claim a sixth championship belt, we are fully expecting a tough war between him and Kamegai.”
Cotto vs. Kamegai, a 12-round fight for the vacant WBO World Junior Middleweight Championship, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions in association with Teiken Promotions and sponsored by Tecate “BORN BOLD” and Casa Mexico Tequila. Rey Vargas vs. Ronny Rios is a 12-round world championship fight for the WBC Super Bantamweight Title, and is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Promociones del Pueblo. The event will take place Saturday, August 26 at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. and will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing® beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.

Boxer Victor Ortiz: ‘I’m a complete fighter’

Last time we saw Victor Ortiz, he was stopped in the 4th round by Andre Berto in April of 2016. At the time, many thought that would be the end for Ortiz. However, Ortiz feels he has been down this road before, and can get back to the top. “I’ve been written off before. People have said I should retire since my first loss,” said Ortiz at his media workout in Ventura, CA on Tuesday.

“I came back from that loss and became a champion. I don’t care what people have to say about me. I could go act full-time (Expendables 3, Southpaw) if I wanted, but I truly love this sport.”

The former WBC welterweight champion returns against Mexico’s Saul Corral (24-9, 15 KOs) in the main event of PBC on FS1 and FOX Deportes on July 30 at the Rabobank Theater in Bakersfield, California.

The 30-year-old Ortiz (31-6-2, 24 KOs) feels he is still one of the best in the loaded welterweight division. “I still feel like I can be one of the best in the 147-pound division. It’s there for the taking,” said Ortiz ‘There are some gifted fighters in there and I respect them, but I believe that I have what it takes to be right up there. I’m a complete fighter.”

While I do not think Ortiz is a complete fighter; he is an entertaining fighter, and has name recognition.  If he can put together a few wins, he might be able to get himself another title shot, but that can’t happen unless Ortiz takes care of business against Corral.

 

Stephen A. Smith responds to LeBron’s “fake news” allegation

Yesterday, Stephen A. Smith reported that if LeBron James were in front of Kyrie Irving he would be “tempted to beat his a**.” Today, James tweeted out and pretty much called Smith’s report “fake news.”

Smith responded on his radio show today:

“What if I got into the REAL story of what happened with LeBron James against Boston the year before — or that spring when he decided to leave Cleveland and take his talents to South Beach? But we don’t want to get into that.”

Take a listen! He says a lot more about LeBron James:

Team Trilogy clinches playoff berth; Highlights from Week 5 of the BIG3

The BIG3 rolled through Chicago on Sunday. A sold-out crowd of 9,044 at the UIC Pavilion saw team Trilogy move to 5-0, and become the first BIG3 team to clinch a playoff berth.

Here are the highlights from Week 5:

GAME 1: Power (51; 4-1) vs. Ball Hogs (34; 1-4)

 

GAME 2: Trilogy (51; 5-0) vs. Tri-State (34; 1-4)

 

GAME 3: 3 Headed Monsters (51; 4-1) vs. 3’s Company (32; 1-4)

 

GAME 4:  Ghost Ballers (50; 3-2) vs. Killer 3s (45; 1-4)

 

VIDEO (Courtesy of Fox Sports 1)

Suns’ Brandon Knight tears ACL; could miss the entire 2017-18 season

Suns G Brandon Knight could miss the entire 2017-18 season with a torn ACL in his left knee, according to the team.  Knight tore his ACL while playing basketball during a pro-am game last week in Miami.  According to the team, a timetable for his return will be determined at a later date.

The 25-year-old Knight averaged 11.0 ppg, 2.4 asts, and 2.2 rebs last season with the Suns.

Lucky Whitehead on Cowboys: ‘No one had my back in the whole situation’

UPDATE: According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Whitehead has been claimed by the Jets.

In a case of mistaken identity, all charges against former Cowboys WR Lucky Whitehead have been dismissed.

Whitehead was charged with shoplifting in Virginia back in June. A warrant was issued for his arrest when he failed to appear in court on July 6.

Whitehead was unaware of what was going on, and rightfully so. Here is what he said after practice on Monday:

According to The Prince William County Police Department, here is why Whitehead was misidentified:

The man charged on the morning of June 22 was not in possession of identification at the time of the encounter; however, did verbally provide identifying information to officers, which included a name, date of birth, and social security number matching that of Rodney Darnell Whitehead, Jr. Officers then checked this information through the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) database. The DMV photo on file was then used to compare to the man who was in custody. Officers acted in good faith that, at the time, the man in custody was the same man matching the information provided. At this point, the police department is also confident in confirming that Mr. Whitehead’s identity was falsely provided to police during the investigation. The police department is currently seeking the identity of the man involved in the incident

 

Whitehead is not sure how someone was able to get his personal information.

According to Whitehead, the Cowboys were not buying his story. “Let’s not sugarcoat anything. I was pretty much being called a liar,” Whitehead told the Dallas Morning News.

Whitehead went on to tell the Dallas Morning News the following:

“As far as the whole situation went down, I was blindsided,” he said. “I didn’t know about a warrant that came about in the first place. Clearly because I wasn’t the person arrested. The head person [in the Cowboys organization] I told, no one backed me up. No one had my back in the whole situation. I knew about it at what? 12:45. By 2:30 I’m released.”

According to Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, the team has moved on from Whitehead: “We’re going to stand by that decision and move forward,” 

Whitehead will now look to catch on with another team. According to his agent, Whitehead has some teams who are interested.

The Cowboys are obviously making an example out of Whitehead. If this were Dez Bryant or Ezekiel Elliott, do you think they would be cut? 

Probably not, but that’s the way it works in the NFL.

 

Nonito Donaire joins Ringstar Sports

LOS ANGELES (July 25, 2017) – Four-division world champion Nonito Donaire will join forces with Ringstar Sports as the international boxing star attempts to add another world championship to an already illustrious list of career accomplishments.
“Exploring what was out there in the new landscape of boxing was unnerving and exciting at the same time,” said Nonito Donaire, “I have known Richard for many years and have always respected what he has been able to do for the fighters he promotes.   At this point in my career I want the biggest fights possible and Richard’s track record to deliver them speaks for itself.   The thought of the mega-fights against the likes of Mares, Santa Cruz, Selby or Frampton gets my blood boiling.  The next chapter of my career is starting now and I am excited to say that it is with Ringstar!  I am grateful to my fans and team for their continued support!”
“Nonito is one of the modern day legends of our sport,” said Richard Schaefer, Chairman and CEO of Ringstar Sports. “One of these rare fighters that always delivers and always knows how to entertain!  I am convinced that he will again become one of the pound for pound best fighters in the world.  No doubt about it!  I want to thank his wife and manager, Rachel Donaire as well for the trust she places in me.  We can’t wait to get going!”
Born in the Philippines and living in California, Donaire burst onto the scene in 2007 after a stellar amateur career when he stopped previously unbeaten Vic Darchinyan in the fifth round to capture a flyweight world title. Donaire would defend the title with three more knockouts before he moved up to bantamweight and defeated unified champion Fernando Montiel in 2011 to becoming a two-division world champion.
Donaire’s next challenge came at super bantamweight as he made it 27 consecutive victories by knocking down and defeating Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. in 2012 to become a champion at 122-pounds. A banner year for Donaire continued with a title-unifying victory over Jeffrey Mathebula and knockouts over Jorge Arce and Toshiaki Nishioka. After the impressive run Donaire was recognized as the 2012 Fighter of the Year by the BWAA, ESPN and Ring Magazine.
A loss to Guillermo Rigondeaux ended a 30-fight win streak for Donaire, but he continued to add to his resume as he won a world title in a fourth weight class by winning a featherweight championship via technical decision over Simpiwe Vetyeka in 2014.
Another world title was added to Donaire’s ever-growing trophy case in 2015 when he defeated Cesar Juarez to capture a world title at super bantamweight. He defended the title successfully in the Philippines before losing a close decision to unbeaten Jessie Magdaleno last November.
Donaire, who is currently training in Japan, will be returning to the ring in September.   Further details will be communicated as they become available