Teddy Atlas reacts to Loma-Rigo!

We expected a lot and got very little on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden. Vasyl Lomachenko defeated Guillermo Rigondeaux by TKO as Rigondeaux could not answer the bell after the sixth round due to what he claims was a left wrist and hand injury.

With the victory, Lomachenko retains his WBO super featherweight title.

It was not much of a fight as Lomachenko dominated from start to finish!

ESPN’s Teddy Atlas reacted to this one-sided Lomachenko victory:

https://twitter.com/EternalSunART/status/939725374300155904

Advertisements

Pascal: ‘I knew it would be my last one and I wanted to make a statement'(Photos from fight)

 Former light heavyweight world champion Jean Pascal(32-5-1, 19 KOs) scored an impressive stoppage of previously unbeaten Ahmed Elbiali (16-1, 13 KOs) in the sixth round of the main event of a special Friday night edition of Premier Boxing Champions TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 and BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes at Hialeah Park in Miami, Florida.

Having already stated that this bout would be the final of his 12-year career, Pascal was able to wear down his younger opponent in a fight that featured power punches throughout. Elibali appeared to have Pascal stunned and hurt in the opening moments of the first round, but was unable to capitalize as Pascal began to time his powerful counters.

“It was a beautiful fight,” said Pascal. “I knew it would be my last one and I wanted to make a statement against a young, unbeaten fighter. It went basically as I expected, a couple of difficult moments but I was able to do everything I wanted.”

Elbiali stuck to his strategy of walking down Pascal with power shots, but exhausted too much energy in doing so while not being able to seriously hurt his opponent. Pascal’s counters grew stronger as the fight went on and Elbiali lost steam on his punches as he entered the sixth round for only the fourth time in his pro career.

 After an impressive round five, Pascal poured on the attack in round six, landing numerous unanswered hooks before Elbiali’s corner called for a stop to the fight at 2:06 into the round.

“I fought his fight, I should have boxed more and taken him into the later rounds,” said Elbiali. “It wasn’t my day. He is a world class fighter. I felt like I hurt him in the first round, but I felt drained after that. I’m not sure why, it might have been the nerves. But I’ll learn from this.”

Photos from Douglas DeFelice/Premier Boxing Champions:

Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions2Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions3Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions4Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions5Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions6Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions7Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions8Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions9Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions10Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions11Elbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing ChampionsElbiali vs Pascal_12_08_2017_Fight_Douglas DeFelice _ Premier Boxing Champions1

Luis Ortiz to Wilder: ‘Anthony Joshua doesn’t want to fight either of us, let’s give the world this fight'(Photos from Ortiz’s win)

Heavyweight contender Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (28-0, 24 KOs) deliver a second round knockout of Daniel Martz (16-6-1, 13 KOs) and swiftly call out heavyweight world champion Deontay Wilder, who had joined the FS1 broadcast ringside.

The towering heavyweights exchanged words in the ring after the fight, with both men looking forward to a possible matchup in 2018.

“I’ve wanted you and I’m going to bless you again with another opportunity,” said Wilder. “I was ready the first time. This is a new day for you. I think you’re one of the best heavyweights in the world and I want to prove that I am the best. We must fight each other. You will have your fight.”

“Anthony Joshua doesn’t want to fight either of us, let’s give the world this fight,” said Ortiz. “There will be no excuses. I will be ready to do this for Cuba!”

 Ortiz made quick work of his opponent, knocking him down with body shots in round one before delivering a counter left hand that put Martz down and prompted referee Samuel Burgos to stop the fight 43 seconds into round two.

 Photos: Douglas DeFelice/Premier Boxing Champions:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Heavyweight Luis Ortiz returns on 12/8

MIAMI (December 4, 2017) – Top-rated heavyweight title contender Luis “King Kong” Ortiz will take on Daniel “The Mountain” Martz in an added 10-round featured bout on a special Friday night edition of Premier Boxing Champions TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 and BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes at Hialeah Park in Miami, Florida on Dec. 8.

The main event of the card features Ahmed Elbiali taking on former world champion Jean Pascal in a 10-round light heavyweight bout. Televised coverage of the 2-1/2 hour show begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT with a battle between unbeaten featherweight prospects Stephen Fulton (11-0, 5 KOs) and Adam Lopez (8-0, 3 KOs) and also features welterweight prospects Bryant Perrella (14-1, 13 KOs) and Alex Martin (13-2, 5 KOs) in undercard action.

Ortiz is returning to the ring one week after the World Boxing Council lifted a sanction that it had imposed against the Cuban heavyweight contender in October. Ortiz was pulled from a match against world champion Deontay Wilder scheduled for Nov. 4, after Ortiz failed a Voluntary Anti-Doping Association drug test. Last week the WBC ruled that Ortiz had failed to disclose two medications that he was taking, which triggered his positive test. He was fined $25,000 for failing to make the disclosure, and re-instated into the organization’s rankings.

That cleared the way for Ortiz to return to the ring, and he will waste no time doing so with a match that he hopes will help propel him toward another world title shot in 2018.

“I’m just thankful to be back in the sport I love so much. I can’t wait to get some action and feel that ring and those gloves tight on my wrist,” Ortiz said. “I’d like to thank everyone, especially my loyal fans, who stood by me and supported me through this rough time. I don’t think it would have been possible without you guys. I’d like to thank the WBC and Mr. Sulaiman for being humane enough to take time for their investigation, and my entire team who never lost faith in me. But most of all I need to thank God because without him there wouldn’t be anything worth living for.”

The 38-year-old Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs), of Camaguey, Cuba now resides in Miami, Fla., and will be fighting Martz in a 10-round bout in front of his adopted hometown crowd. The hard-hitting southpaw turned pro seven years ago after defecting from Cuba and has since been steadily climbing the heavyweight ladder. He cemented his standing in the division with victories over veteran contenders Bryant Jennings, Tony Thompson and Malik Scott and is currently ranked No. 3 by the WBC. Ortiz hasn’t fought in almost a year, having scored a technical knockout victory over David Allen at Manchester Arena in England on Dec. 10, 2016 in his last fight.

Ortiz-Martz replaces the Chad Dawson-Edwin Rodriguez light heavyweight bout on the card. The match was cancelled after Dawson suffered an injury in training camp.

The 27-year-old Martz (16-5-1, 13 KOs), a 6-foot-7 heavyweight from Clarksburg, West Virginia, has taken on world champion Joseph Parker and contender Bryant Jennings during his five-year professional career.  He is coming off a second round technical knockout victory over Tim Washington on Nov. 17.

#          #          #

Fans can live stream the fights on FOX Sports GO, available in English or Spanish through the FS1 or FOX Deportes feeds. The fights are available on desktop at FOXSportsGO.com and through the app store, or connected devices including Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, Xbox One and Roku. In addition, all programs are also available on FOX Sports on SiriusXM channel 83 on satellite radios and on the SiriusXM app.

Sadam Ali defeats Cotto by unanimous decision(photos); Cotto confirms retirement

NEW YORK CITY (Dec. 2, 2017) On a night that Madison Square Garden and the boxing world bid farewell to a boxing legend in Miguel Cotto (41-6, 33 KOs), Sadam “World Kid” Ali (26-1, 14 KOs) stole the show, winning a unanimous decision victory and the WBO Junior Middleweight World Championship in front of 12,391 fans and televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing. The final scores were 115-113 twice and 116-112.

Ali, a 2008 U.S. Olympian from Brooklyn, hurt Cotto twice in the early rounds and used slick defense and solid counterpunching to keep Cotto at bay throughout the 12-round bout.

“I worked hard for it,” Ali said. “I took advantage of this fight, and I made sure to make it count. I want to Thank God, and also thank team Cotto, They could have taken an easier fight if they wanted too. I had him hurt here or there in the first couple of rounds. I knew I had to do something, or he would have dug in. By the 11th round, I thought the fight was close. Whatever Golden Boy Promotions has next, I’ll take it. Good things happen to good people. I have been training since I was eight years old, and I am glad I got this win at MSG, in my hometown.”

Cotto, a six-time, four-division world champion and the fighting pride of Caguas, Puerto Rico confirmed his retirement after the bout.

“I am feeling good with the performance,” Cotto said. “Something happened to my left bicep in the seventh round. I don’t want to make excuses, Sadam won the fight. It is my last fight. I am good, and I want to be happy in my home with my family. Thank you for all the fans. I am proud to call MSG my second home. I had the opportunity to provide the best for my family because of the sport.”

In the co-main event, despite suffering severe gashes over both eyes caused by accidental headbutts, WBC Super Bantamweight World Champion Rey Vargas (31-0, 22 KOs) defended his title a second time, rolling to a 12-round unanimous decision victory over a very game Oscar “El Jaguar” Negrete (17-1, 7 KOs). The scores were 119-109 twice and 120-108.

 Photos: Tom Hogan/Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Loma on Rigo: ‘I am not promising to knock him out, but I am promising to squash him’

WBO junior lightweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko has been called by Bob Arum “the greatest fighter since Muhammad Ali.’ That’s high praise for a guy with only 10 fights. In order for Lomachenko(9-1, 7 KOs) to reach the heights of a fighter like Ali, he is going to need to build his resume. He will have that chance on December 9 against WBA bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux(17-0, 11 KOs) at Madison Square Garden.

While Rigondeaux is one the best defensive fighters in the sport, Lomachenko believes he will not have any problems getting to Rigo.

“I have a plan in my head, a picture of what I am going to do but I don’t think it would be too smart to talk about it right now,” Lomachenko said.  “I think it is better one time to see than 100 times to say.”

Whatever the game plan is on fight night, Lomachenko expects to bring the pain to Rigondeaux.

“I am like every single fighter – going into the ring I have in my mind ‘finish the bout before all the rounds are over and to get the victory before that,”  Lomachenko said.  “There is a good possibility that the fight will end before the twelfth round.  I am not promising to knock him out, but I am promising to squash him.”

 

 

 

Guillermo Rigondeaux on Loma fight: ‘It is going to be a massacre’

Two 2-time Olympic Gold Medalists are facing off for the first time professionally, at the highest level, in a world championship fight.  It will be Saturday, December 9 at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, which has been sold out for nearly two months.  It and it will be televised live on ESPN at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.  There will be a four-bout telecast on ESPN that will end up with the grand finale of a great night of boxing, Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Rigondeaux has been trying to get his hands on Lomachenko for a long time. He talked about that during a conference call on Wednesday:

“I wanted to fight him when he was at 126.  And we tried, and we tried, and we tried, and he wouldn’t step in the ring with me.  Now he is at 130 and wants to step in the ring with me because he believes now he has the advantage over me,” Rigondeaux said.

Even though he is going up two weight classes, Rigondeaux believes that he is going inflict some severe damage on Lomachenko:

“It is going to be a massacre.  People should anticipate a massacre,” Rigondeaux said.

End of the day, Rigondeaux can’t wait to let everybody see that he is one of the best in the sport:

“There are a lot of things that are more important to me in my professional career. However, this would be a big feat and let the world see who is the best pound-for-pound boxer.”

This historic battle will mark the first time two-time Olympic gold medalists have fought each other professionally at the highest level.  Lomachenko will be defending his World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior lightweight world title against the reigning World Boxing Association (WBA) super bantamweight champion Rigondeaux.

 

Barry Hunter: ‘I have confidence in Lamont Peterson against anybody’

Lamont Peterson has been around the sport of boxing for a long time. He has been in with some of the best in the game. However, his toughest test might come against IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. on January 20 at Barclays Center.

According to Peterson’s trainer Barry Hunter, Spence is the best at 147:

“Errol Spence is the best fighter in the welterweight division. You have athletes that can fight and athletes who are fighters. Errol and Lamont are both. They have the skills and they have the ability to fight,” Hunter said on Wednesday. “To be the best in the world, you have to fight the best in the world. All the greats have done it. In order to get back to the glory days, we need to put the best against the best. I have confidence in Lamont Peterson against anybody.”

No matter who wins on January 20, Hunter believes that the fans will get their money’s worth:

“These are the two guys who are ready to fight anybody. The fight on January 20 is going to be one to remember. It’s a fan-friendly fight.”

Photos: Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment

Errol Spence Jr.: ‘I want the best in this division to all fight each other’

Unbeaten IBF welterweight world champion Errol Spence Jr. and former champion Lamont Peterson went face-to-face for the first time Wednesday at a press conference in Brooklyn to discuss their world title showdown headlining action on Saturday, January 20 live on SHOWTIME. The event is presented by Premier Boxing Champions from Barclays Center.

Spence knows that he can’t overlook the tough, rugged Peterson:

“You’re going to see the same Errol Spence that you’re used to. I can’t look ahead because I know how dangerous Lamont Peterson is. I’ve been in training camps with him, and I know what he can do,” Spence said today. “I’ve seen too many fighters look down the road and get beat before they get to the big fight. I have to be 100 percent focused and hungry. I’m fully dedicated to this fight. Lamont can push me to even greater levels. I feel like he is a better fighter than Kell Brook and has even more heart than Kell Brook and he can bring out the best in me.”

Spence expects an exciting fight against Peterson:

 “I think it’s going to start out as a boxing match, but as we go on, it’s going to be a dog fight. We both have big hearts. I’ve never known Lamont to turn down any fight. Not a lot of people wanted to fight me. The big names shied away from me but Lamont stood up and said he’d fight me. This is going to be a hard fight,” Spence said. “I used to watch Lamont and his brother Anthony Peterson before I ever met them. I like their styles, the way they throw body punches and the fundamentals that they learned from Barry Hunter. I think I can be known as the best pound-for-pound in the sport, but I have to take it one fight at a time. I want to be the undisputed welterweight champion. That should be everyone’s ultimate goal – to be the best fighter in the sport. But first I have a big test ahead of me January 20.”

Spence wants to prove himself against the best at 147:

“I want the best in this division to all fight each other. It’s time for everyone else to stand up and proclaim that they want to be great. That’s how we get this division to the peak. I don’t feel like waiting to fight the best. I want to prove myself.”

Photo: Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment